Finnish Cinnamon Bun
For the Dough
- 4/5 Cup Milk
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ Stick Unsalted Butter
- 1 Tbsp Fast-Action Dried Yeast
- 4 Cups Strong (Bread) White Flour
- 1 Generously Heaped tbsp. Ground Cardamom
- 1/3 Cup Caster Sugar
- 1 Egg Plus 1 Yolk, Beaten
For the Filling
- ½ Stick Salted Butter, Very Soft
- ½ Cup Light Brown or Light Muscavado Sugar
- 1 Heaped tsp Ground Cinnamon
- To Finish
- 1 Beaten Egg
- Pearled Sugar
- Heat the milk to almost boiling point, then take off the heat, add the salt and butter
(cut into slices if it is straight out of the fridge). The butter will melt into the milk. Allow to
cool to lukewarm.
- Place the fl our, yeast, ground cardamom and caster sugar into a large bowl and thor
oughly mix together: a balloon whisk will do this brilliantly.
- When the milk/butter has cooled, mix in the egg and egg yolk.
- Add most of this liquid to the dry ingredients and begin to combine, switching to your
hands. You may need al the liquid, you may need a spot more, depending on the
fl our and the humidity.
- Bring the dough together and knead for 8-10 minutes until soft and smooth.
- Place into a clean bowl, cover with cling or a tea towel and leave to prove for around
an hour, it should double in size. Leave it somewhere draft-free and not too cold.
- Meanwhile, make the fi lling by combining the butter, sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Once the dough has risen, remove from the bowl and ‘knock back’, briefl y kneading
out the air.
- Halve the dough to make it easier to work with. Take one half and roll out quite thinly
- into a squarish rectangle. The squarer the rectangle, the more layers in the scroll.
- Cover the rolled out dough with half the fi lling mixture, spreading it out evenly with the
back of a metal spoon.
- Tightly roll the rectangle up.
- Now cut the korvapuusti by slicing on an angle so each piece has a fat end and a thin
- To transform these wedge-shaped pieces into scrolls, place them wide edge down
then firmly press down with your fi nger in the middle of the buns so the scrolled edges
fan out. You need to be really fi rm or the crease won’t stay.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees, and line two baking sheets with parchment or silicon
- Arrange the buns onto the prepared baking sheets leaving plenty of room for them to
- Cover loosely with cling or tea towels and leave to prove for 25-30 minutes.
- Brush egg wash over the proven buns and sprinkle with pearl sugar.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes in a preheated oven until risen and golden.
- Cool on a wire rack.
View Recipe PDF
Recipe adapted from www.vagabondbaker.com
Posted on Thu, December 3, 2015
by Sarah Hokuf